Does your organisation take a tenant-focused approach?

Join CHIA Vic for a wide-ranging session on tenant involvement with Lydia Dlaboha, from the Housing Quality Network in the UK. The workshop will cover topics such as:

  • the value of tenant involvement
  • ways to build in tenant scrutiny (e.g. mystery shopping exercises)
  • how to use tenant feedback to improve your services.

It will assist members to think through the range of ways in which they engage their customers, and how they can make these interactions meaningful and deliver positive outcomes.

Suitable for housing workers, managers, support workers and tenant advocates.

The session will be held on  Thursday 14 November from 1.30pm to 4.30pm. Members $297 incl GST, Non-members $330.

Lydia’s background is in housing management. She has worked extensively on a wide variety of performance improvement projects and currently oversees the HQN’s work in training and accrediting social housing providers across the UK. Lydia is working with CHIA, CHIA NSW and CHIA Vic on a project to revise the National Community Housing Standards and establish an accreditation system for Australian community housing providers.

Click here for details and to register.

Unhappy #WorldHomelessDay

Boost for co-op housing

Common Equity Housing Limited (CEHL) is undertaking a seven-story co-operative development in Brunswick that will provide 16 apartments for low-income households.

The State Government’s Victorian Property Fund provided $4.29m for the project, which will enable residents to share a communal rooftop garden, laundry facilities and greenhouse. A commercial tenant will be on the ground floor of the development that will be built on Wilson Street, close to public transport.

The building and dwellings are designed to the Victorian Government Better Apartment design standards by Genton Architects for enhanced thermal performance and low ongoing running costs for households.

CEHL Chair Heidi Lee says, ”The funds from the Victorian Government, Victorian Property Fund grants program has enabled a welcome increase in affordable, environmentally-sustainable co-operative housing for Common Equity Housing.

‘Wilson Avenue is a high quality development that will enhance the CEHL Co-operative Housing housing portfolio.’

Completion is expected in 2021.

Countdown to World Homelessness Day

This World Homelessness Day, on Thursday, October 10, homelessness workers from around Victoria will be smashing myths that  put the blame on individuals instead of on the systemic drivers of homelessness by revealing #HomelessTruths

​Homelessness is at crisis level in Victoria due to a lack of affordable housing

​The Victorian Government must build more social housing so that people on low incomes aren’t forced into homelessness.

Your organisation can assist by sharing information found at

Millennials fading hopes of home ownership revealed

The ongoing affordability crisis is entrenching a generation dependent on parents for housing, with a surge in the number of Millennials giving up hope of moving out of home by 30 years of age.

The 2019 Perceptions of Housing Affordability report released today by CoreLogic, identified that the proportion of Australians who think they will be at least 30 years of age before leaving home has rocketed from 20 per cent in 2017 to 34 per cent.

Lisa Claes, CEO CoreLogic International says, ‘The report proves that the “cubby house” syndrome – where children are prolonging their home stay with parents – is intensifying. Our youngest generation is effectively being locked out of the market and increasingly dependent on parents.

‘If Millennials’ affordability disillusionment continues, we risk entrenching a generation who become disenfranchised from society. It raises serious issues around intergenerational equity and should be a catalyst for policy makers to address affordability at a foundational level.’

Click here to read more.

Consultation on the NDIS review

The Australian Government has commissioned a Review of the NDIS Act to inform the development of the new NDIS Participant Service Guarantee.

VCOSS is convening a consultation to inform our submission to this review.  We invite you or a representative of your organisation to attend and help inform our feedback and set our priorities.

Tuesday 8 October 2019

2pm – 4pm

St Michael’s Uniting Church, 120 Collins St Melbourne

Please register your attendance online  

 People with disability, the sector and the broader community campaigned long and hard for the introduction of the NDIS. As the scheme continues to grow and evolve, it is important that every Australian counts and that everyone is able to understand, access and navigate the scheme.

The scope of this review is very wide and in this instance, VCOSS will be unable to respond to every element of the review discussion paper. In this submission VCOSS is proposing to focus on the challenges experienced by people facing intersectional disadvantage, additional barriers and greater complexity in understanding, accessing and navigating the NDIS. Key themes for discussion in this context will include:

  • Awareness and understanding of the NDIS
  • The interface and collaboration with mainstream and community services
  • NDIS experiences across eligibility, access and planning phases
  • Plan implementation, including finding and choosing providers and accessing support within thin markets
  • Navigating the plan changes, review and appeals processes
  • Quality and impact measures

This review presents an opportunity to highlight the challenges experienced, propose positive changes, reduce red tape and improve participant experiences.

If you are unable to attend but wish to provide input, please contact Rhiannon Wapling on 9235 1000.

 Please note, this consultation is for VCOSS members and Empowered Lives members only.

Startup to offer discounted rentals for low income earners

Australian rich lister and co-founder of Flight Centre Geoff Harris has backed a new property start-up offering to buy homes for a guaranteed price, with about 20 per cent reportedly to be used as discount rentals for people on low incomes.

The company, Brickfloor, guarantees to buy selected properties if they fail to get a better offer during the sales campaign, essentially ensuring the vendor gets a sale. Brickfloor is looking for homes valued between $350,000 and $2.5 million within 50 kilometres of the Sydney and Melbourne CBDs.

Read the full Domain article.

Job: Maintenance Coordinator (Active)

Haven: Home, Safe has a full-time, ongoing role for a Maintenance Coordinator in Preston.

Applications close on Monday 7 October 2019.

Please note interviews for the position will be held over Thursday 10 and Friday 11 October 2019.

Application information and position descriptions for all vacancies are available on Haven; Home, Safe’s website at


AHURI conference wrap up

The Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute (AHURI) Conference has wrapped up, delivering a wealth of evidence and information on what we in Australia can do to end homelessness.

If you missed out on attending the conference in Darwin, you can still click here for the wrap up and to download presentations from the conference.