Reforms to the Residential Tenancies Act were announced this weekend, and CHIA Vic expects the full details of all the proposed changes will soon be made public.
Reforms in the Bill include requirements for rental homes to meet basic standards, including safety standards for gas, electricity and smoke alarms.
Other changes relevant to the community housing industry include:
- rent increases limited to once a year
- renters will have the ability to make minor modifications without needing consent of the landlord
- clearer rules on how to deal with goods left behind
- written consent of the landlord will no longer be required to release bond, although landlords will have 14 days to raise a dispute
- tenants will be able to terminate rental agreements if in a family violence situation
We will let you know when the details of the changes are released.