Why do we need an Industry Transition Plan?
Planning as an industry helps ensure that the community housing sector can:
- maximise the opportunity of the current reforms such as Homes for Victorians
- manage the impact of the technological, workforce and social changes; and
- meet increasing demand for affordable housing.
The plan will also guide CHIA Vic’s priorities for building the capacity of the industry.
What will the plan include?
The plan will include a shared vision for the industry that will build on the unique value proposition of the community housing model.
We expect that the plan will address a wide range of issues, including:
- growing a sustainable sector
- building a skilled workforce
- integrating social and affordable housing with the human services sector and the wider housing sector
- building community awareness and support for community housing
- supporting appropriate organisational structures and governance for community housing organisations.
How is CHIA Vic developing the plan?
CHIA Vic has consulted with members and stakeholders at workshops and members meetings on the development of a shared industry vision and is now currently consulting with some individual members and stakeholders on priorities for the Industry Transition Plan, including:
- government agencies and their coordinating entities and the government-established regulatory systems
- key private sector partners, including finance and property
- industry peak bodies and peer network organisations
- tenants and advocacy organisations
- providers (for-profit and NFP) of specialist services to the industry—covering training and professional development, consulting and data and research services.
In December, CHIA Vic will also be sending all of its members who are registered housing agencies a survey to get ideas and information from those working across the sector. The survey aims to collect some data about what each organisation does now as well as their ideas about how the sector needs to grow and develop over the next four years.
Community services industry planning
The Industry Transition Plan will seek to complement the priorities established by the Victorian Government and the wider community services industry through the Health and Human Services Partnership Implementation Committee (HSHPIC). This has set the following priority area for inclusion in industry planning:
- flexible person-centred funding
- information sharing and technology innovation
- outcomes approaches
- evidence-based approaches
- workforce of the future
- client-centred service
- place-based systems and services
- organisational and industry readiness
- regulatory frameworks
- governance and leadership
This work is being led by the Victorian Council of Social Service (VCOSS) to provide an overarching plan for Victoria that will guide the community service sector and government in planning for the future.
CHIA Vic will closely collaborate with VCOSS to ensure that our Industry Transition Plan takes into account this wider community services industry planning.
Having your say
CHIA Vic is keen to hear from all of its stakeholders – including people working in organisations or in the wider affordable housing industry – about the priorities for the Industry Transition Plan.