Victoria’s community housing industry is making an increasing significant contribution to the development of housing for people in need. Between 2010 and 30 June 2019, the community housing industry provided 1,033 additional social and affordable homes in Victoria.
Here are just five of the reasons why community housing organisations are well placed to be the engine room for social housing growth in Victoria:
- community housing organisations can deliver 25-30 per cent more dwellings than for-profit developers by folding the developer margin and tax advantages back into additional supply
- they can benefit from land lax, stamp duty and GST concessions through their charitable not-for-profit status
- they can complement government funding with other forms of investment, including philanthropic, to increase supply
- they can design and build high-quality homes with lower running costs for tenants
- they can protect social and affordable housing as public assets.
Download our Development Snapshot for details.